Building Codes and Permits

Building Codes and Permits There are a number of procedures and forms that are needed for a resident or contractor to complete certain work in the township. This section of the website contains these documents or have links to the documents. It is not the intent of this site to allow one to apply for the various permits on line. The purpose is for you to understand what is required when you visit the Municipal Building to obtain the permit.

If you like you can print out the application and fill in the information before you visit the building to save time. Permits will not be issued until the contractor obtains a business privilege license.

The left menu will detail specific areas of the codes which will help you through the permit process. If, after reviewing this information you still have questions, please contact the Codes and Zoning Department at (610) 253-7191. You can download any forms on our Forms & Documents section.

When is a Permit Required?
The Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code, as well as the ordinances of Palmer Township, requires permits for many types of projects. Activities requiring permits include:

  • Any structural change/alteration
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical
  • Mechanical/HVAC (new and replacement)
  • Replacement water heater
  • Reroofing
  • Replacement windows
  • Decks (replacement and new)
  • Pools (permanent and temporary)
  • Finished basements
  • Driveways (replacement, expansion and resurface)
  • Signs (except political signs) and banners
  • Additional living space conversions
  • Patios and patio roofs
  • Fences (temporary and permanent)
  • Retaining walls
  • Sheds and carports (accessory structures)
  • Hot tubs, spas and jacuzzis

The above list is not all-inclusive. Palmer Township has adopted ordinances and the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code which govern the activities requiring building permits. Some activities are excluded, however may still require a zoning permit. Please contact the Permit Department at (610) 253-7191, extension 1112 for more information.

Palmer Township Codes on-line
The township contracts with General Code Publishers to publish the township's codes. As part of this service, the township codes were recently put on-line through General Code's web site. By clicking on the Township Code of Ordinances you will be able to access these codes.

From time to time the Board of Supervisors may modify, add to or delete from these codes. There will be a time delay between enacting the change and having them published by General Code. Any changes will be found on the Code of Ordinances under New Laws or in the Municipal Building.

Moving Record Application
Every person or family who moves within or outside of Palmer Township are required to fill out a Moving Record application and submit it to various offices in the Municipal Building prior to moving. The reason for this policy is to assure that all financial obligations with the Township are fulfilled before the move.

Visit our Forms & Documents section for permits and other useful information. Fill it out and bring it to the Municipal Building. It should be noted that Palmer Township does not require an inspection on the resale of a dwelling. Any inspection requirement is between the seller and buyer.

© 2020 Palmer Township
site design | na studios